Gerhard Richter, Abstraktes Bild, 1977. Oil on canvas, Overall: 225.1 x 200.5 cm. Purchase, 1980. © Art Gallery of Ontario 79/336.
Put your contemporary art knowledge to the test with our latest art quiz. Answers can be found at the bottom of the page.
1. This 2012 documentary is an intimate career overview of this noted artist, leading up to a major retrospective exhibition of their work at a recognized art museum in 2010. What is their name and the highly publicized piece that shares the same title as the exhibition?
A. Yoko Ono, I Am Absent (Cut Piece)
B. Yayoi Kusama, Kusama: Infinity
C. Marina Abramović, The Artist Is Present
D. Rebecca Belmore, Facing the Monumental
2. In the early 1990s, this work was unveiled at the National Gallery of Canada and met with criticism. It consists of 50 to 60 pounds of raw steak flanks stitched together in the shape of a dress. In the years since, it has become referred to as simply “The Meat Dress”. Who is the Czech-Canadian artist behind this work and what is its true title?
A. Jana Sterbak, Vanitas: Flesh Dress for an Albino Anorectic
B. Stefani Germanotta, Meat Dress and a Blue Wig
C. Joseph Beuys, Fat Felt Sculpture (Fat Battery)
D. Tim Whiten, Metamorphosis
3. Which artist was commissioned by fashion house Comme des Garçons to create headpieces for its Homme Plus Fall 2021 Menswear collection? These headpieces look very similar to this artist’s most widely known sculptures.
A. Philip Treacy
B. Maryam Keyhani
C. Stephen Jones
D. Willie Cole
4. The AGOinsider described this 2003 short film as “[serving] as a critique of colonialism” where the artist, Shelley Niro, “retells a violent history and delivers a powerful commentary on the relationship to [Indigenous] land and land rights”. This short film was also showcased at the 2003 Venice Biennale. What item of clothing is the focal point and its title?
A. The Boot
B. The Bandana
C. The Shirt
D. The Jeans
5. Which noteworthy artist famously expressed the phrase “Art is the highest form of hope”?
A. Gerhard Richter
B. Andy Warhol
C. Jeff Koons
6. Canadian multidisciplinary artist and former AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence Sara Cwynar has a solo exhibition on view from January to August 2021. At which art museum is it being held?
A. Art Gallery of Hamilton
B. The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
C. Remai Modern
D. Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum
7. From 2000 to 2007, Dr. Lowery Stokes Sims was the Director and President at the The Studio Museum in Harlem. Who is her successor and the current Director and Chief Curator?
A. Denise Murell
B. Thelma Golden
C. Adrienne Edwards
D. Edward Enninful
8. “Haute Culture: _________ ________” is cited as the first retrospective exhibition devoted to the work of this collective. It was on view at the AGO in 2011 and the AGO acquired a recognizable work that can be seen in the Mira Godard & Reginald Bennett Gallery. What is the name of this collective?
A. General Idea
B. Guerrilla Girls
C. Talking Heads
9. Eunice Bélidor is the first Black curator at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts—the first ever in the history of the institution. When was she appointed and what is the name of her curatorial department?
A. December 2017, International Contemporary Art
B. February 2012, Contemporary Collection
C. June 1999, Modern and Contemporary Canadian Art
D. April 2021, Quebec and Canadian Contemporary Art
10. The AGOinsider described this 2018 work by Haegue Yang in the following way: “Made from stacked venetian blinds, rest on casters and are equipped with handles for movement; ______ ________ Vehicles manifest Yang’s engagement with the tenets of modernism, as well as her ongoing investigation into the modular structures of the American artist ______ ________.” Fill in the blanks with the name of the American conceptual artist in question.
A. Donald Judd
B. Frank Stella
C. Chuck Close
D. Sol LeWitt
11. Miss Chief Eagle Testickle is the gender-fluid alter ego of this interdisciplinary artist of Cree ancestry and can be seen in this 2008 acrylic on canvas painting acquired by the AGO. What is this artist’s name and the title of the painting?
A. Nicolas André Monsiaux, Zeuxis choisissant des modèles
B. Kent Monkman, The Academy
C. Kent Monkman, Study for The Examination
D. Luca Giordano, Battle of the Gods and the Giants
12. True or False: In 2017, the AGO presented an extensive collection of Latin American contemporary art in the exhibition As If Sand Were Stone: Contemporary Latin American Art from the AGO Collection. This exhibition was curated by the AGO’s Associate Curator, Contemporary Art, Adelina Vlas.
13. Shirin Neshat’s 1999 video and installation has been described as a “meditation on the gender politics of Islam.” What is the title of this work?