Week 1: Experimental studies/game play on paper. Students create canvas painting from studies.
Week 2: Grounding canvases for effect and painted collage compositional works.
Week 3: Working wet in wet, additive and subtractive, impasto and layered techniques.
Week 4: Object to image. Painting from self-made maquettes. Exploring projection.
Week 5: Working in series and mirrored compliment, and masking.
STUDENT MATERIAL LIST
Acrylic paints, brand of your choice, one tube of each colour, approximately 120 ml/5oz:
● Acrylic paints, Basic set including: primary blue, red and yellow, white and black. In addition please get a raw umber, hookers green, and a dioxazine purple.
● Titanium white (larger tube - we tend to use a lot of white)
● Acrylic matte medium (not gel) 250ml or similar
Brushes and Other Materials:
● A large flat 2 inch chip/utility/house painters brush
● 3 medium sized filbert brushes ( ¼, ½ and ¾” hog/natural or synthetic bristle).For a budget-friendly natural hair brush option, try the Nobel brand at DeSerres.
● 1 small round brush that makes a nice point
● 1 or 2 palette knives
● A Palette: foam or plastic plates or trays. White is ideal.
● Painting rag: cotton cloth, an old shirt
● Water Spritzer
● some pencil crayons 4 or 5, various colours light to dark
● Masking tape, skissors
7 canvas boards or canvases 16 x 20” or larger.
** 5 pack of 16 X 20 canvas can be purchased at DeSerres.
Bond Paper pad 18 x 24” (Cartridge Paper could be substituted)
These are the recommended materials for this course. Your instructor may recommend additional optional materials on additional days. All sizes are approximate. Our Instructors will do their best to accommodate alternative materials whenever possible.
Some suggested retailers for purchasing your art materials:
Aboveground Art Supplies (discount code: AGOSTUDENT10), Curry’s (Online Only), DeSerres, Gwartzman’s, Michaels, or any other art supply or discount craft store.