ONLINE SIDE BY SIDE WITH AN ADULT (4-6 yrs)
Have fun getting creative, learning about the AGO collection, and making art alongside your young artist. In this online course, children with an adult caregiver will explore exciting art-making techniques and learn how to reinvent art materials while working on individual and shared projects.
Terms and Conditions of Participation in Online Courses.
Please review the Terms & Conditions for course experience optimization.
Week 1: 3D collaged landscapes: Taking inspiration from paintings in the AGO collection, we will create a three-dimensional landscape using drawing, collage and frottage techniques.
Week 2: Mixed-up faces! Cardboard will be transformed into colourful portraits using shapes, lines and abstraction.
Week 3: Winter gardens. This week we will explore sculptural paper techniques: folding, quilling and cutting, bringing the outdoors in and making a wonderful paper garden.
Week 4: Creepy crawly art bugs! Today we will be investigating form and texture, creating mixed-media bugs and insects using plasticine/clay and a variety of materials.
STUDENT MATERIAL LIST
- Plasticine (modelling clay) OR Model Magic: assortment of colours
- Glue stick
- White glue and brush for glue
- Masking tape
- Exacto knife or box cutter (adult use only)
- Oil pastels or crayons
- Pencil, eraser
- Tempera paint (or any washable children’s paint) in assorted colours
- Paint Brushes, any medium size
- Pie or paper plate - anything that can be used as a paint pallet (several)
- Paper towel or painting rag
- Water container for paint brush rinsing
- One sheet mixed media paper/heavier weight paper 11 x 17” or larger
- White bond paper (printer paper) 8.5 x 11”, several sheets
- Coloured paper (construction or similar)
- Corrugated cardboard each: 12 x 12 inches, and variety of cardboard scraps/offcuts
Objects and Craft Materials:
- Pipe cleaners, paperclips
- Toothpicks, bamboo skewer/thin wooden dowel
- String or yarn
- Textured items: things that can be used for rubbing (frottage): cardboard, bubble wrap, lace, netting, etc
Optional: stapler, hole punch, decorative papers and/or magazines for collage
These are the recommended materials for this course. All sizes are approximate. On your first day of class, your instructor may recommend additional optional materials. Our Instructor’s will do their best to accommodate alternative materials whenever possible.
Some suggested retailers for purchasing your art materials:
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, delays are very possible.