Ages 4-6 with an Adult
Saturdays 10 - 11 am
October 16 - November 6
Instructor: Olia Mishchenko
Members $175 / General Public $205 (4 weeks)
Have fun getting creative, learning about the AGO collection, and making art alongside your young artist. In this online course, children with an adult caregiver will explore exciting art-making techniques and learn how to reinvent art materials while working on individual and shared projects.
Week 1: Scene in Red and Blue. Inspired by the modern art works in the AGO collections and by some colourful characters, we will draw and work on a small 3-D scene, learning some plasticine/clay construction basics along the way.
Week 2: On My Head. In preparation for Fall and Winter holidays, we will learn sculptural paper techniques and will make a whimsical head dress to wear or to share. For inspiration we will discover some incredible Inuit artists in the AGO collection.
Week 3: Colourful Moods. This week we will do some basic printmaking with markers and will create a character whose moods and colours change.
Week 4: Pocket Universe. Today we will be making fun cards about lines and dots, exploring shapes and textures, and will make fun cards with surprising 3D effects.
STUDENT MATERIAL LIST
3D Materials and Adhesives
- Plasticine (modelling clay): red, and blue, 1 block/1lbs/apple size piece of each. And, white, ½ block/lbs/apple size piece to share.
- Pipe cleaner/chenille sticks: red and blue, several of each colour
- Toothpicks, several
- A plastic fork
- Tape, masking tape
- Glue stick
- Bowl of water and small piece of sponge
- Optional: rolling pin, hole punch
Mark-making and Planning Materials
- Wax crayons
- Oil pastels
- Marker set: thick, thin or both, red and blue plus other colours
- Ballpoint pen
Surfaces and Paper Materials
- Colour cardstock (65-75lbs) of various colours 8.5 x 11 inch, approximately 50 sheets to share between adult and child. For example: office supply store: 80 sheets or 75 sheets, or discount craft store heavy construction paper (for example 48 sheets).
- A piece of corrugated cardboard each, 9 x 9 inches
- 5 sheets each Watercolour paper, 9 x 12 inch or similar
- A Styrofoam sheet or flat Styrofoam piece at least 4 x 6 inches. Product name:Scratch-foam board (Or cut out of the flat part of a grocery, take-out, tray, or plate)
These are the recommended materials for this course. All sizes are approximate. On your first day of class, your instructor may recommend additional optional materials. Our Instructor’s will do their best to accommodate alternative materials whenever possible.
Some suggested retailers for purchasing your art materials:
Aboveground Art Supplies (discount code: AGOSTUDENT10), Curry’s, DeSerres, Gwartzman’s, Michaels, or any other art supply or discount craft store.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, delays are very possible.
Please review the Terms and Conditions of Participation for course experience optimization.