Saturdays 10 - 11 am
November 13 - December 4
Instructor: Jessie Jakumeit
Members $175 / General Public $205 (4 weeks)
Led by artist-instructor Jessie Jakumeit, this course is inspired by the art of Robert Houle that is presented in the exhibition, Robert Houle: Red Is Beautiful. We will use various mediums that Houle himself has used over his 40+ career, while considering his very personal and thought-provoking perspective on indigeneity in Canada.
Week 1: Introduction, Drawing Games, Color and Emotion Drawing with oil pastel on black paper inspired by Robert Houle’s painting The Pines.
Week 2: Oil Pastel Landscape Drawing in Analogous colours inspired by Robert Houle’s painting The Pines.
Week 3: Drawing and Healing exercises inspired by Robert Houle’s artwork Sandy Bay.Week 4: Colour and Emphasis Drawing inspired by Robert Houle O-ween du muh waun (We Were Told).
STUDENT MATERIAL LIST
- Pencil 2B or HB, sharpener
- Black Fine liner pen or fine tip marker
- Glue stick
- Coloured pencil set (or crayons can be used)
- Coloured marker set
- Oil pastel set, for example: Mungyo set of 12, or similar.
- Small ruler or straight edge
- Q-tips, toothpicks, and tissues for blending pastels
- 3 sheets white, cardstock paper 8.5 x 11 inch or similar
- 10 sheets on any white paper, 8.5 x 11 inch or similar
- 10 sheets construction paper, various colours, 9 x 12 inch
- 2 sheets large, black paper, or very dark colour paper: construction paper or Bristol board, 12 x 18 inch or similar.
Optional: Tape – masking tape
These are the recommended materials for this course. All sizes are approximate. On your first day of class, your instructor may recommend additional optional materials. Our Instructor’s will do their best to accommodate alternative materials whenever possible.
Some suggested retailers for purchasing your art materials:
Aboveground Art Supplies (discount code: AGOSTUDENT10), Curry’s, DeSerres, Gwartzman’s, Michaels, or any other art supply or discount craft store.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, delays are very possible.
Please review the Terms and Conditions of Participation for course experience optimization.