The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) invites early-career artists to submit proposals for its paid mentorship program to pursue practice-based research, over a month-long period, into museum practices, audience engagement or the AGO Collection. Held annually, the program aims to offer three artists the opportunity to further their artistic practice and ready themselves for larger-scale presentations within institutional frameworks.
With the support of mentors from across the Gallery, each selected artist will further their research with the aim of presenting their findings to their AGO mentors for further feedback and conversation. This call is open to emerging artists in the early stages of their careers.
We welcome practice-based research proposals that explore interdisciplinary approaches, including those that are digital; consider the role of social engagement practices, engage with the museum field, or might be informed by the content and programming of the AGO. Experimentation is encouraged and these proposals could examine any area at the Gallery, including but not limited to: Conservation, Collections, Curatorial, Education & Programming, Library & Archives, Food & Beverage, and Visitor Experience. We seek research ideas which challenge conventional understandings of museum practices.
Selected artists will receive:
- A one-time $2,000.00 CDN stipend, inclusive of all artist expenses and fees.
- Mentorship from select AGO team members over a month period (virtual or in person, if required); and
- A feature for their practice on the AGO X RBC Emerging Artists Program webpage.
Who should apply:
- artists who self-identify as emerging artists and are in the early stages of their artistic career
- Canadians currently living in the country or artists residing in Canada
- practicing professional artists with two (2) or more years experience
To apply, click here. The following materials must be included to be considered:
- Research proposal, including artist statement (250 words maximum, one (1) page, size 12 font)
- Résumé/CV (one (1) page, size 12 font); and
- Art portfolio: provide a selection of five (5) images of your work in a pdf format, and/or links to videos, allowing us to understand your artistic practice and how they inform your research question.
Successful proposals will address the following:
- Focus on either a connection to our audiences, challenge the museum field, or engage with the content and programming of the AGO
- How your project advances your artistic growth/development.
The AGO X RBC Emerging Artists Exchange encourages submissions from populations who have not been equitably represented in museums, including Black, Indigenous, artists of colour, 2SLGBTQ+, women and persons with disabilities. Successful artists must be available between July and August 2023. Three selected artists will be notified by May 30, 2023.
Application deadline: April 24, 2023, at 5:00 pm EST.
Please note that we do not accept applications via email or applications sent after the deadline. Waiting until 4:59 PM EST to submit an application can delay the application from getting submitted on-time. We encourage you to submit your application hours or days in advance.