1900: Incorporated as the the Art Museum of Toronto under the Benevolent and Provident Societies Act (1897).
A meeting to discuss the founding of the Museum took place on March 15, 1900; an application for incorporation was made on July 3. This application was certified by county court judge on July 4, and filed with a clerk of the peace on July 6.
1903: An Act respecting the Art Museum of Toronto*
The Museum's incorporation was "confirmed and amended" by provincial legislation ("An Act respecting the Art Museum of Toronto"*), giving the museum additional "rights and powers." The additional powers allowed the Museum to receive money and land by bequest, borrow money, mortgage property, etc. Officers of the Museum had been told privately that the Grange was to be left to them, and these legislative changes were made in anticipation of the bequest.
1919: Change of name to the Art Gallery of Toronto.
Decision of council was made on December 16, 1918; it was changed by a statute law amendment act, assented to on April 24, 1919.
1966: Change of name to Art Gallery of Ontario.
Effective on July 8, when the Art Gallery of Ontario Act, 1966* received royal assent. Under this legislation, the Gallery remained a corporation without share capital.
1968: The Art Gallery of Ontario Amendment Act, 1968.*
This act changed the name and composition of the Board (see Council/Board of Trustees Fact Sheet); changed the "chairman" to "president." Act received royal assent on July 23, 1968.
1972: The Art Gallery of Ontario Amendment Act, 1972.*
This act authorized the Gallery to dispose of land to the city and changed the terms under which trustees held office (see Council/Board of Trustees Fact Sheet). This act came into effect on June 23, 1972.
1978: The Art Gallery of Ontario Amendment Act, 1978.*
This act made changes to the makeup and election of the Board of Trustees (see Council/Board of Trustees Fact Sheet). Received royal assent on November 30, 1978.
Note: an asterisk * indicates that copies of the legislation can be found in the Archives.