The Grange underwent a variety of changes between the early days of the Art Museum of Toronto and the restoration project in the 1970s. These included the electrification of the building and the construction of an apartment for a live-in caretaker. In 1918 and 1926 respectively, additional gallery wings were added to the AGO and staff used several rooms in The Grange as offices. The Grange also enjoyed a tea room in the drawing room and breakfast parlour. Goldwin Smith’s library housed the AGO library.
By the early 1970s a new path was forged for The Grange with additional expansions to the AGO. At this time in Ontario, an increased interest in heritage preservation encouraged the AGO’s Junior Women’s Committee to raise funds for a feasibility study. Realizing that The Grange could be restored as an historic house museum, the Committee eventually raised over $500,000. This money was used to restore The Grange to the period of 1835, including historic furnishings. In 1970, The Grange was named a National Historic Site of Canada.