Introduction to Drawing Intensive
This course introduces students to a range of media and techniques in drawing, as well as different application methods to develop an awareness of line, volume and form. Working with conte, graphite, and charcoal, this foundation-level course, taught live by an AGO Artist Instructor, draws upon the AGO's collections as a platform for teaching methods and techniques, and prepares students for advanced classes at the AGO.
Every season, we offer projects inspired by artworks in the AGO Collection, including new acquisitions as well as special exhibitions where indicated. Instructors also develop personalized approaches to their teaching techniques focused on student interests and needs. Students are encouraged to discuss their learning goals with their instructor.
Please review the Terms and Conditions for course experience optimization.
This course meets in-person in the Dr. Anne Tanenbaum Gallery School.
For the 2022 summer season, classes held in the Gallery School are limited to a maximum of 38 people at any given time (2 classes simultaneously, maximum of 15 students per class, plus staff).
Participants must be 18 or older.
Day 1: The Grey Scale and Value
Day 2: Basic Line Drawing Techniques
Day 3: Negative space and Eraser Drawing
Day 4: Portraiture and Grid Drawing
STUDENT MATERIAL LIST
- 2B and 6B graphite pencil
- 2B black conte stick
- 2B white conte stick
- Sakura Pigma Micron 08 Black Pen 0.50mm or any similar black felt fine tip pen and medium point black sharpie.
- 2 White Plastic Eraser or one cut in half: Staedtler Mars Plastic eraser is a good brand.
- 2 Large Compressed Charcoal 4B. General’s is one brand.
- Pastels Assorted Colours (Set of 12) Galleria Semi-Hard Pastels or Mungyo Gallery Drawing Chalk Pastels recommended
- Kraft Paper Pad, 18 x 24 inch, 40 sheets (Manila pad of paper if Kraft is not available)
- One sheet Canson Mi Teines Pastel Paper, 160 gsm 19 x 25 inch: Tobacco or any colour of a medium tone
- A small packet of Paper Stomps, a Q-Tips or your finger!
- Pencil Sharpener
- Small sketchbook
- Painter’s Tape
These are the recommended materials for this course. All sizes are approximate. On your first day of class, your instructor may recommend additional optional materials. Our Instructors will do their best to accommodate alternative materials whenever possible.