AGO Executive Chef Renée Bellefeuille. Still image courtesy of the AGO.
Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors hasn’t just taken over Levels 4 and 5 of the AGO, it’s also inspired the AGO's Executive Chef Renée Bellefeuille. The result is a limited edition Kusama-inspired AGO Matcha Cake, available for sale at shopAGO until May 27.
Watch the video below where Chef Renée explains more about what matcha is and how to assemble this artful cake yourself.
Inspired to make this delicious cake? Here is the recipe:
AGO Matcha Cake
9 x 11” baking pan
Bake at 160ºC/420ºF approx. 20–24 mins.
Combine, sift and set aside (dry ingredients):
75 grams cake flour
25 grams good quality matcha tea
43 grams bread flour
3 grams baking powder
170 grams sugar
Measure and put in mixing bowl (wet ingredients):
60 grams vegetable Oil
3 each egg yolks (approx. 60 grams)
120 grams water
8 ml vanilla extract
Measure and set aside (will be whipped into a meringue):
5 each egg whites (approx. 150 grams)
58 grams sugar
a gram salt
- Mix wet ingredients with paddle attachment until homogenized.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until smooth; approximately one minute. Set aside (this is now the yolk and flour mixture)
- Whip the set-aside egg whites with the sugar and salt to make a stiff meringue. Do not over-whip. Should not be grainy.
- Fold the stiff meringue into the yolk and flour mixture from step 2.
- Pour mixture into prepared 9 x 11” baking pan lined with parchment.
- Bake at 160ºC for approximately 20–24 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the centre.
Not in the mood to bake? Drop by shopAGO Tuesday to Sunday to purchase one of our limited edition matcha cakes (a perfect treat for Mother’s Day!).
Are you an AGOinsider yet? If not, sign up to have stories like these delivered straight to your inbox every week.