OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, EQUITY & ACCESSIBILITY
2020 was a year that served as a deep reminder of the work cultural institutions still have to do to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive spaces. We believe everyone should feel safe, welcome, and have access to experience great art and programming that reflects them, their history and the people who live in their community.
We are on a journey of listening, learning, reflecting and taking action to build ongoing approaches to diversity and inclusion at the AGO. We recognize our opportunity to model and act as leaders in the arts and culture community, and moving forward, we commit to:
- Deepening our efforts towards implementing reconciliation, and dismantling institutional discrimination, racism and oppression in all areas and levels of our organization.
- Strengthening our efforts towards building greater diversity, inclusion, equity, and accessibility; and in doing so reflecting our values and our vision to lead global conversations from Toronto through extraordinary collections, exhibitions and programs by reflecting the people that live here.
- Building on our work to create an organizational culture that fosters an environment that is inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible to all.
- Providing platforms for artists through programming and education who are voices of change in our culture and who better reflect the diversity of our community.
- Improving our record for attracting, hiring, developing, and retaining employees and volunteers who reflect our values and the diversity of the city in which we live.
- Developing a detailed action plan to achieve our goals and commitments, and sharing quarterly progress updates in an open and transparent way.
HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR JOURNEY
We will update this page regularly. And as we continue on our journey to becoming a more inclusive, equitable and accessible place for all, we welcome your ideas and insights.