Call for Proposals is Now Closed
Three paid digital residencies available in 2021
Deadline for submissions: March 15, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST
Each selected artist will complete a two-month residency between April and September 2021.
The Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) is now in its 10th year of offering residencies to artists, and this year the AGO X RBC Artist-in-Residence program invites artists to submit proposals for a digital project or experience to be created over a two-month residency, responding to the theme of “Together, Apart”. The residency provides resources, learning opportunities, platforms and mentorship for emerging artists working in any field, to realize a digital project. At the end of the two-month residency, each Artist in Residence will be invited to show their work publicly as part of their residency.
We welcome proposals from emerging artists who are interested in creating new artworks that combine artistic genres. Proposals should explain how and through what platform(s) online audiences can engage with the artwork. Artists are open to propose projects that include collaborations with any department at the AGO, including but not limited to: Conservation, Collections, Curatorial, Education & Programming, Library & Archives, Food & Beverage, and Visitor Experience.
Selected artists will receive the following:
- A one-time artist fee of $5,000.00 CDN, and additional $2000.00 CDN for materials for the project ;
- A mentor with applicable expertise and access to other AGO collaborators; and
- A public presentation of the completed project.
Who should apply:
- Artists, individuals, and/or artist collectives who self-identify as emerging artists and are in the early stages of their career in their art form;
- Applicants who are living in Canada or are Canadian citizens;
- Practicing professional artists with two (2) or more years' experience; and
- Artists who are able to connect virtually with AGO staff during their two-month residency.
To apply, please complete the below form. The following materials must be included to be considered:
- Artist statement, including project proposal (500 words maximum, one (1) page, size 12 font);
- Proposed project budget ($2,000.00 CDN including all project expenses);
- Résumé/CV (one page, size 12 font); and
- Five (5) sample images and up to two (2) video excerpts, allowing us to understand your artistic practice.
Successful proposals will address the following:
- The 2021 residency theme of “Together, Apart”: Responding to the restrictions on work, travel, health care, play, learning and social gathering imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, and the opportunities that may arise for reflecting upon, responding to or collaborating via digital platforms, where people of any and all ages come together in novel and meaningful ways;
- How your project advances your artistic growth/development;
- The feasibility of the project proposal and budget;
- An interest in experimenting with emerging digital platforms and a willingness to address and engage with multiple audiences and communities of the museum; and
- Your interest in and commitment to engaging with AGO staff and diverse audiences online.
Selected artists must be available between April 1 and September 30, 2021. Three selected artists will be notified by April 7, 2021.
Application deadline: March 15, 2021 @ 11:59 pm EST.